Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Gearing up for Susquehanna Flats

The  Susquehanna Flats Catch and Release Striper season is underway, tough current water conditions will not permit fishing.  Today’s flow data shows the river receding after this past weekends heavy rains and runoff. Water temps are right at 40 degrees.  I am hoping the next week of forecast high pressure and 60 to 70 degree temps will allow for some fishing by mid next week.

I have been been stocking my fly boxes with some of my favorite fly patterns for the flats and the Chesapeake Bay.   I tie lots of half and halfs on 2/0 hooks, lots of clouser minnows on 1/0 and 2/0 hooks, an a bunch of decievers on 3/0s.   I like my flies heavy and use mostly natural materials mixed with a little bit of flash.






I like chartreuse and white, purple and white, and all white.  Sometimes I will use alll black flies, especially in dirty water, and I also like to use chartreuse and yellow paired together in my patterns. 
I have been rigging up the 8 and 9 weight rods with sinking shooting heads and with intermediate lines.  I’ve got a couple new Scott 8 and 9 weights on board this year, still paired with Abel #2s .  I have always been partial to the 8 weight rods,  I think they are much more comfortable to fish all day.

Typically I will use a 250 or 275 grain sinking shooting head.

Let’s hope we will be out there catching some fish soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment