Friday, February 10, 2012

Susquehanna River Walleye Fishing

The last few winters I have made an effort to target walleyes fishing the Susquehanna below Conowingo dam. Seems that there have been a greater number of walleye in the river in recent years. They are aggressive feeders and can be caught right through the winter months.
I caught and released this nice fish on a recent trip, fishing from shore below Conowingo. I find the fishing best in periods of moderate water flows. Fish can be caught using a variety of techniques. I have had the best success fishing small jigs slowly. 1/8 an 1/16 ounce heads with grub tails or other soft bodies work well. I have had the best luck on chartreuse. I have heard reports of anglers having success on crankbaits and other hardbaits also.

No comments:

Post a Comment