Monday, February 17, 2014

New Year, New Gear, Ready for Spring!

Winter is for real this year!  I can honestly say that I did not fish much through the winter this year.  I took on several projects outside of fishing for the winter months, and they have taken up most all of my time.  The cold weather we have dealt with this year is unlike any winter weather I can remember.  Water temps on the Gunpowder River were 36 degrees the last I checked, making the trout fishing extremely difficult.  Hoping an end to the cold is in sight, I have been busy readying gear for the Spring and looking forward to fishing.



Got some new shirts and hats to sport on the water in 2014. I hope to fish many of the same areas of the Chesapeake and Maryland's coastal waters as usual, and look to chase down good fishing this year wherever it turns up.  I will begin Spring fishing on the Susquehanna Flats in late March as I do every year, and the boat will be there through May 3.  I will start fishing on the Gunpowder as soon as we get some kind of break in this weather and the fish become a bit more active.


Been spending my evenings tying flies to get boxes stocked.  Some of the first flies we will see for the season will be our winter stoneflies.  Hopefully we get some good sunny days with temps in the 50s to get them going.  April days and early dark mayflies like quill gordons and hendricksons  are just around the corner.  Prettyboy Reservoir is at capacity, so we should see good stream flows through Spring if the city and state fisheries can get on the same page with flow management.



I will keep you posted as we get fishing. If you want to get a date for a trip on the book just give me a call.  Jeff



No comments:

Post a Comment